Sunday, January 25, 2015

I am a Latter-Day Saint (Mormon)

I was raised Mormon and made a conscious decision to leave the faith as an adult. Given that, it may seem strange that I would choose a book to educate my children on Mormon beliefs, but the fact is that my children's grandparents, cousins, and other relatives from my side of the family still believe and practice. We also live in Utah so a good share of the friends and neighbors are Mormon as well and I feel like they should have a basic understanding of something that they're bound to encounter regularly.

Being Utah, there was a wide selection of books about Mormonism in the children's section, but the majority were written for a Mormon audience. I could only find one book written to explain Mormonism to non-Mormon children titled I am a Latter-day Saint (Mormon) by Gayla Wise. I found it to be adequate, but I didn't love it. I had  been hoping for something respectful, but objective, however this read more like a Mormon missionary would present information. I would have emphasized slightly different information and my son was didn't find it a particularly interesting read, but I'm not aware of any better resources. It did introduce my son to vocabulary that he's likely to hear, such as 'ward', 'preisthood', and 'general conference' and it talked a bit about how the church was formed and what Mormons believe. I would give this book a somewhat neutral rating. Not great, but not terrible either and I'm not aware of a better alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment