Sunday, February 22, 2015

Don't Call Me Special: A First Look At Disability

Don't Call me Special: A First Look at Disability by Pat Thomas explains what both physical and mental disabilities are and how disabilities may require people to use adaptive equipment or find different ways to do things in a way that is easy for young children to understand. It also cautions against making assumptions about what people with disabilities can or cannot do and teaches that children with disabilities can often find ways to participate in sports and most other activities. The book points out that everyone has some things they do well and other areas they struggle in and that people with disabilities are the same way. Someone in a wheelchair may still excel at shooting hoops or in art or any number of areas. Kids are instructed not to label people with disabilities as 'special' because they feel it sets them apart and they would rather be treated like anyone else. Basically, it teaches kids that people with disabilities are people first and foremost.

Even though the book was very clear in teaching that people with disabilities are able to participate in sports and other activities, my children still had a hard time grasping this. After reading it I asked my oldest if he thought whether someone in a wheelchair would be able to play basketball or soccer. To my surprise, he still answered no. To help him visualize it, I showed him the following videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZNuwOy8z-E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmolw95_v6w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vxjh6KJi8E

Yes, I made my children watch a beer commercial. It actually sparked a great conversation. I pointed out that since all of the players but one could walk, that they had made a very important choice. They could have chosen to leave their friend in the wheelchair out because he was different and they didn't want to change the way they play, but instead they thought of a solution where everyone could play together. My boys decided that if they were the person in the wheelchair, they would be really want to be included. Overall, I'd say that this book is a good start to the conversation, but I think that the videos really helped to reinforce the concepts. I'd recommend using both together.

No comments:

Post a Comment